Plasma cutting was first developed in 1957, and has seen many changes since then. The first plasma cutter was developed by engineers at Union Carbide Corporation and was used primarily for cutting stainless steel and aluminum plate. Throughout the 1960s, the cut quality and life of the consumable nozzles and electrodes in the cutting torch were improved.
In 1968, radial water injection was introduced, allowing faster cut speeds and higher-quality cuts. This was made possible by the water’s ability to constrict the cutting torch’s arc.
Automated gas flow control systems were developed in 1996, eliminating the potential for machine operator errors in setting the shape of the cut.
Check out the rest of the timeline of plasma cutters from The Fabricator here.